Friday, March 12, 2010

My first Punjabi Poem

Before I start the narration, let me make a confession, among the three languages that I am most comfortable with (Hindi, English, Punjabi), I am weakest in the one that happens to be my mother tongue, Punjabi - despite growing up in Punjab, most of the people around me communicating in Punjabi, and attaining knowledge of the language in school for 10 years.

The factors attributing to my Punjabi skills being below-par-as-expected are

1. My parents always used Hindi as the language for conversation with me, so that is the one I grew up chitchatting the most.

2. 13 years of my schooling was in a DAV , where a lot of emphasis is given on the rashtra bhasha (national language) primarily on the account of national pride, hence my Hindi skills prospered the most. Post that I spent 2 years in an Appejay school where antarashtriya bhasha (international language, i.e. English) is given prime importance. My college was outside Punjab, so the importance to maatra bhasha (mother tongue, you know which one it is for me) suffered even more.

3. I was always told by my peers to give more importance to English and Hindi, as their accessibility was more and having a good grasp on the same would help me reach out to a broader set of people with ease.

4. I somehow had a notion that Punjabi wasn't a good language, for it was full of swear words, unlike Hindi which was a very soft language (Its another thing that my notion on the latter turned out to be incorrect when I went to college, as I realized that people everywhere echoed similar feelings using different set of alphabets).


 
(a morning in Punjab)

Away from my home, in college, I realized that I was wrong; I should have paid more importance to my maatra bhasha (you now know what that is, if not go to point number 2), as if I won't do that, then who else will?

There are numerous people in the world trying to learn various international languages (one prime reason being that they wish to show that off in various social networking sites and collaborative meetings). No matter however strong or effluent those languages be, they don't have a poet of the stature of Shiv Kumar Batalvi, they don't have a scripture of the level of Sri Guru Granth Sahab Ji, they don't have soulful melodies like Nit Khair Manga and a rich musical heritage, they don't have people like Gurdas Maan and Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan who entertained as well as preached meaningful verses, they don't have comedians like Bhagwant Maan and Jaspal Bhatti who brought out laughter from various heart-wrenching facts of life.

There are numerous other citations I can give, for the time being all I would say is that Punjabi language is one of the most under-promoted in India, a huge chunk of people feel it is just about Bhangra, hurling choicest of abusive words, behaving in a loony manner; what they don't know is that beneath all these is a very solid base on which numerous civilizations are surviving.

Anyway, coming to what this topic was intended to be, I just wrote my first Punjabi poem. Not of the high standards as set by few prominent people like the ones mentioned two paras above, but penning down these verses made me happy - a delightful feeling coupled with excitement and ecstasy.


Poem's situation - When you aren't too happy with the work being given to you by your manager / boss and want him to give you something else / send on-site on some international project.

Poem in Punjabi 
(Punglish version of the same is written below for those who have knowledge of the language but can't read it)

ਮੈੰਨੂ  ਬਾਹਰ  ਭੇਜ , ਤੇੰਨੁ  ਛਡ ਦਿਆਂਗਾ
ਜੇ  ਏਥੇ  ਰਖਿਆ   ਤੇ  ਵੱਡ  ਦਿਆਂਗਾ

ਬਕਵਾਸ  ਕਿੱਤੀ ਤੇ  ਭੰਨ  ਕੇ  ਰਖ  ਦਿਆਂਗਾ
ਔਖਾ  ਹੋਯਾ  ਤੇ  ਟੋਟੇ  ਟੋਟੇ  ਕਰ  ਦਿਆਂਗਾ

ਝੂਟੇ  ਦਿਲਾਸੇ  ਦੇਣ  ਨਾਲ  ਕੁਝ  ਨੀ  ਹੋਣਾ
ਵੰਗਾ  ਛਿੱਡਕੌਣ   ਨਾਲ  ਮੀ  ਨੀ  ਵਰਨਾ

ਪੁੱਤ  ਸ਼ੇਰਾਂ  ਦੇ  ਤੇਰੇ  ਜਿਹੋ   ਨਾਲ  ਨੀ  ਡਰਦੇ
ਊਚੇ  ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ  ਤੇ  ਸਾਡੇ  ਦਿਲ  ਵਿਚ  ਨੇ  ਵਸਦੇ

ਝੁੰਡ  ਨਹੀ , ਅਪਾ  ਤੇ  ਕੱਲੇ  ਸ਼ਿਕਾਰ  ਕਰਦੇ  ਨੇ
ਮੋਡੇ  ਤੇ  ਦੁਨਾਲੀ , ਹੱਥੇ  ਕਟਾਰ ਰਖਦੇ  ਨੇ

ਕਬਜੇ  ਤੇ  ਅੱਸੀ  ਕਈ  ਕਿੱਤੇ  ਨੇ , ਤੂ  ਕੀ  ਚੀਜ਼  ਹੈ
ਚੜ੍ਹਕ  ਜੁੱਤੀ  ਮਰ  ਜਾਉ , ਏਹਿਯੋ  ਤੇਰੀ  ਔਕਾਤ  ਹੈ

ਜਦੋਂ  ਲਲਕਾਰੇ ਵਜੰਗੇ, ਤਾਈਯੋ ਤੈੰਨੂ  ਅਕਲ ਆਊਗੀ
ਮੌਤ  ਨੂ  ਮਾਸੀ  ਆਖੁਗਾ , ਓਹਿਯੋ  ਵੇਲਾ  ਆਊਗੀ



Poem in Punglish 
(i.e. Punjabi written in English)


mainnu baahar bhej, teinnu chadd diyaaga
je aethe rakhia te vadd diyaanga

bakwaas kitti te bhann ke rakh diyaanga
aukha hoya te tote tote kar diyaanga

jhoote dilaase den naal kujh ni hona
vanga chidkaun naal mee ni varna

putt sheraan de tere jiho naal ni darde
ooche baadshah te saade dil vich ne vasde

jhund nahi, appa te kalle shikaar karde ne
mode te dunaali, haththe kataar rakhde ne

kabje te assi kai kitte ne, tu ki cheez hai
chadhak jutti mar jau, ehiyo teri aukaat hai

jadon lalkaare vajjange, taaiyo tainnu akal aaugi
maut nu maasi aakhuga, ohiyo vela aaugi

(sunrise in Punjab)

Note - Recite this poem to your manager / boss at your own risk.

6 comments:

Bharti said...

"H for ----I for "idiot" have you seen the Hari sadhu's ad-------if narrated to the boss,it may have same effect.
A good attempt Yaju
Rakesh Bharti,
son of a Hindi poet-Vijay Nirbadh
I am one of your father's batch mate and the story of my home was same as yours---but I could never write in Punjabi--sirf Hindi mein koshish ki thi
Good luck for your further poetic journey for which this may be a small but important step---

Arjun Suri said...

WOOOOOW!! Awesome yar! I dint knw u had such punjabi skills.. i cudnt understand a few words of ur poem..

and the poem is sooo "PUNAJAAABI!" ;)

do write more often:)

Arjun

p.s. thanks for using the pics!:)

Unknown said...

that was one damn awsm poem i hav read past years.... looks like a cross version of shiv kumar batalvi and gabbar singh..
lol..
nice work bro..
CHASKA E YAARAAN NOO

Yaju said...

@Rakesh Bharti uncle

Yes uncle, I do know you well and can never forget Vijay uncle as well. To date his work remains unmatched and we have reserved the pens he gave us.

Thanks for the encouragement, at this age this means a lot to me. :)

@Arjun

Even I didn't know I could write a poem in punjabi ;) Thanks for the positively pristine words, would do that!

@Sidd

Thanks a lot bro, buuuuraaaahhhh !! :D

@Those who didn't like the poem
Main tuhaanu puththa tang deyaanga
Pher jootiyaan pheo pheo maaraanga

Tuhaanu te main kutt sutna hai ... :D

Madan Lal Sikri said...

Dear friend...I am in search of poem of Vijay Nirbadh ji published in Punjab Kesari sometime in late seventies..may be 1977/78.."ei mati ke deep manoram; hanste hanste jal. Nav aalok jala dharti pr; har andhiyara chhal.." highly motivating poem left idelible mark..i recollect only 2 stanzas, could you provude mefull poem n fulfill my long cherished wish. Regards...M.L.Sikri..mlsikri@yahoo.com

Madan Lal Sikri said...

Dear friend...I am in search of poem of Vijay Nirbadh ji published in Punjab Kesari sometime in late seventies..may be 1977/78.."ei mati ke deep manoram; hanste hanste jal. Nav aalok jala dharti pr; har andhiyara chhal.." highly motivating poem left idelible mark..i recollect only 2 stanzas, could you provude mefull poem n fulfill my long cherished wish. Regards...M.L.Sikri..mlsikri@yahoo.com